Bow Ties for Dr. Barker

A re-cap of Last Week’s all-school Mass

During the Mass and award ceremony we had last week on April 26th, the Good Counsel community organized a school-wide bowtie day to surprise our retiring president, Dr. Barker. When thinking of how amazing the event was, consider the amount of work that had to be put in behind the scenes to make this marvelous and school-participated event occur! It all started when word got around that Dr. Barker was retiring and last week’s Mass was his last all school Mass at GC. Students wanted to do something for him, and went to staff and faculty. The school HR-Manager, Mrs. Nicholas caught wind of it. She came up with a cool idea of wearing bowties and it was agreed upon with the students. Mrs. Nicholas had reached out to the SGA to send an email about wearing bowties, which was met with the decision, in order to get full participation, to order bow ties for all 1200 students. The CFO, Mrs. Morgan-Davis, had to crunch numbers to make it possible. Bow Ties were ordered and Mrs. Nicholas had to reach out to the NHS to get assistance for flyers and handouts of the bow ties, as well as Matincence to get tables set up. The day of the event, Mrs.Nicholas and Mrs. Morgan-Davis had to keep supplying stock of bow ties in order to make sure everyone would be able to wear one. It sounds crazy to know that, with all the moving parts that had to happen, the idea was to have a nice silent nod to Dr. Barker to show student appreciation and support for his time at Good Counsel. We are thankful for Mrs. Nicholas and Mrs. Morgan-Davis and their assistance with this project!