Spirit Week Review

Events+during+Spirit+week+demonstrate+students+getting+together+to+celebrate+school+pride.+The+pride+within+Good+Counsel+contributes+to+the+growth+of+the+community.+

Idera Laifa ‘24

Events during Spirit week demonstrate students getting together to celebrate school pride. The pride within Good Counsel contributes to the growth of the community.

Senior students dressed in suits for the Dress to Impress theme. (Mrs. Shames)

Every year at Good Counsel, during homecoming week, students take a break from their uniform and dress down every day. Each day is designated to a specific theme. This year’s Spirit Week was one for the books. Students went all out for each theme, creating a vibrant and lively atmosphere around Good Counsel. During last year’s spirit week, however, students were less enthusiastic because of COVID, preventing others from creatively dressing for the themes. In this article, I will go in-depth about this year’s themes of the week. 

The first theme of the week was Dress to Impress. This theme meant coming to school in your nicest clothes and looking extremely presentable and formal. I was surprised how many students had committed to the theme, as they were wearing suits and dresses. I noticed a lot of creativity! One way was seeing students use ties with their outfits; others wore business jackets to appeal to the theme and create their vision of the theme with their outfits. Another theme that stood out to me was  Holiday Day. Students dressed down as their favorite holiday. The majority of students dressed as popular holidays like Christmas, Halloween, and St. Patrick’s Day. This theme demonstrated, once again, how students went all out. 

The final two spirit weekdays were Throwback Thursday: Late 1900s edition and Blue and Gold day. For Throwback Thursday, students dressed up as a specific decade from the 1960s-1990s. This day showed what part of the decade resonated with people and how it connected to their perspective on the decade they were portraying. The final day of spirit week was Blue and Gold Day. Students wore blue and gold to show their pride in Good Counsel on this day. This day was also the day of the pep rally, which created an atmosphere full of life and brought Good Counsel closer as a community. 

This year’s Spirit Week demonstrated how the energized spirit that had been lost for the past few years due to covid has finally returned, and it shows how we as a school have developed a sense of community and joy among each other. The vibrant energy during Spirit Week displays how there will be growth as a community and high-spirited attitudes this school year.