• May 185/20 Senior and Mother Mass & Brunch, 9:00 AM in the PAC

• May 185/23 – Senior Breakfast and Awards Program; 8:30 AM Breakfast (seniors only); 9:45 AM Awards Program (parents welcome)

• May 185/23 - Noon Dismissal

At the Close of Founders’ Week

Eliza Henne, News Editor

Founders Week, the annual celebration of the Xaverian roots of Good Counsel and the other Xaverian Brothers Sponsored Schools, was concluded last Friday, December 1st. The week of remembrance began on Sunday with the memorial of the death of Theodore James Ryken, the founder of the Xaverian Brothers, and wrapped up on Friday with the feast day of St. Francis Xavier, Ryken’s inspiration from whom the Xaverian Brothers’ name is drawn.

At Friday’s prayer service, sixteen juniors were inducted into XBSS by the team’s twenty current seniors. The juniors received prayer cards and crosses and they promised, together with the seniors, to be “dedicated to carrying out the Xaverian charism.” They will inherit their positions and responsibilities as next year’s senior leaders.

The administration took the opportunity at the service to recognize staff members reaching various milestones in years of service, in five-year increments. The greatest milestone this year was achieved by Mr. Richard Seel, who marks his fortieth year teaching at Good Counsel. Awards were also given to staff members who have served 5 to 35 years, in appreciation of their similarly tremendous commitment.

After the milestone awards came the presentation of the Theodore Ryken Award, given to a member of Good Counsel’s community who exemplifies the Xaverian values and contributes their best efforts for the benefit of the school, and its community as a whole. This year’s award went to English teacher Amanda Kerkhoven for her belief in every student’s potential and her unwavering support of those students. One of her students, when asked to describe her in one word, responded that it would be difficult, but if they were to find a word, “it would be a good word.” This remark merited a good laugh during the assembly.

In his homily, Father Tom likened the Xaverian mission to a pebble thrown in a pond: as a single pebble creates ripples that expand farther and farther outward, a single good deed from a single person can influence an entire community. This is what Good Counsel strives to instill in every student, both during Founders Week and throughout the year. As a community, we can take small actions that make a world of difference, if only we try.

• At the Close of Founders’ Week

Headlines

Good Counsel’s Falcons of Fishing Tournament!

• At the Close of Founders’ Week

Headlines

A New Generation Visits on Bring Your Child to Work Day

• At the Close of Founders’ Week

Headlines

Poisoning of Ex-Russian Spy Starts Diplomatic Controversy

• At the Close of Founders’ Week

Headlines

Fatal Car Accidents on the Rise: Could You Be Next?

• At the Close of Founders’ Week

Headlines

Speech and Debate Win Big at WACFL Metrofinals

• At the Close of Founders’ Week

Headlines

No Sleep in the Philippines

• At the Close of Founders’ Week

Headlines

GC Unites to Pray for Victims of Gun Violence, Spark Activism

• At the Close of Founders’ Week

Headlines

A Letter from the Co-Editors: National School Walkout Day at Good Counsel

• At the Close of Founders’ Week

Headlines

Senator Van Hollen Speaks to The Talon

• At the Close of Founders’ Week

Headlines

The Rise of Mass Shootings

At the Close of Founders’ Week