A Letter from the Co-Editors: National School Walkout Day at Good Counsel

On Wednesday, March 14, at approximately 10:00 AM, schools across the country are participating in the #ENOUGH National School Walkout to appeal to lawmakers for stricter gun control. On that day, exactly one month ago, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, Florida shocked and saddened the world. A nineteen-year-old former student, who had been expelled from the high school, killed seventeen students and staff and left fourteen more injured.

Since that tragedy, the nation has been in a renewed and emboldened debate over stricter gun laws. The focus of the #ENOUGH movement is speaking up against all gun violence—not only the high-profile instances but also the gun violence which impacts students in inner-city schools and countless others on a daily basis. It hopes to put an end to tragedies like Parkland, Columbine, and Sandy Hook.

Tomorrow, our Good Counsel community will gather together around the newly built Our Lady of Good Counsel grotto to listen to speeches from senior student leaders, participate in a moment of silence, and pray. We would like to remind our fellow students that this is a serious issue and a solemn event. The entire process will last seventeen minutes, a minute in honor of each Parkland victim. We ask that you please act respectfully and thoughtfully. It is meant to be a time of reflection and peace. It is imperative that, during the walk-out, we reflect what Good Counsel is at its core–a community that actively believes the words of Margaret Mead “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” Tomorrow is a time for our school to come together as a community to honor the victims, those who lost friends and loved ones, and the heroes who saved lives.

One such hero was Peter Wang, a fifteen-year-old member of Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC), who was shot and killed while holding the door for his fellow students exiting the building behind him. He was admitted, posthumously, to West Point—his dream school.

Another was Aaron Feis, the thirty-seven-year-old assistant football coach who was shot and killed while shielding two students from the bullets.

It is with great reverence that we must honor these heroes and victims. They acted with great courage at a time when few would be able. We ask that you pray for their friends and families as they cope with such a terrible loss.

Here at Good Counsel, we emphasize the Xaverian Values. On Wednesday, we hope to embody them—humility and compassion most—as we support our nation and its fight against injustice.