The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School

The Talon

• March 25April 11 – 14: Band and Chorus Members in Chicago for Music Competition. Break a leg!!!
  • March 25Wednesday, March 27 - GC Students Leave for Italy...CIAO!
  • March 25Easter Break: March 28 - April 7 ENJOY!!!

The Talon

The Talon

Driving the Future of GC: A Recap of GC’s Annual Day of Giving 

Courtesy of Mr. Kennedy/GC Business office
2024 proved to be another successful year for Good Counsel’s Annual Day of Giving!

Every year, Good Counsel holds its Annual Day of Giving, which helps to fund major GC programs and events.

This year’s theme was “Driving our Future”, and the goal was to raise $200,000 for various events and programs.

It feels amazing, couldn’t be more grateful to have a bunch of amazing people behind us.

— Jake Plainte ‘24

Additionally, throughout the day, there were a variety of special challenges, bonuses, and matching donations which further strengthened the efforts. Sports programs had their special challenges between the teams. The GC baseball program was one of the programs that finished with the most donations- and even finished in the top three of most donated categories. And the players appreciate the contributions of their team.

“It feels amazing, couldn’t be more grateful to have a bunch of amazing people behind us,” said senior pitcher Jake Plainte ‘24.

Fellow senior Alex Bergen ‘24 echoes Plainte’s sentiment. “It’s awesome to see how many people believe in us and what we are doing here to receive that many donations for the baseball team,” Bergen said.

The parents of the Class of 2025 donated the most money as a group, donating an impressive $44,000. After the baseball program, the class of 1979 donated a combined $15,000.

At the end of the mad dash, the final amount raised was $375,000, which was a new record amount of donations. The support of the Good Counsel community helped support our athletic teams, programs, departments, service trips, and scholarships.  Good Counsel’s Day of Giving is a reminder of what makes this community a special place to be a part of. This day truly emphasizes the Xaverian motto where “In harmony, small things grow.”

Thanks to everyone who supported this year’s Day of Giving!