The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School

The Talon

• March 25April 11 – 14: Band and Chorus Members in Chicago for Music Competition. Break a leg!!!
  • March 25Wednesday, March 27 - GC Students Leave for Italy...CIAO!
  • March 25Easter Break: March 28 - April 7 ENJOY!!!

The Talon

The Talon

The Year of the Dragon: Celebrating Lunar New Year

Good Counsel student Josh Kim ‘27 is making an ancient money-style dumpling.
Zhihan Chen ‘25

Lunar New Year is the new year of the lunar calendar. It is the most widely observed in the Islamic calendar. However, that is not what we normally mean when we say “Lunar New Year”. Instead, it represents the new year in the Lunisolar calendar, which was widely used in East Asia. This calendar system integrates both lunar and solar movements to indicate the passage of time.

Herry Shi ‘25 is cutting green onions that he uses in soup.
(Zhihan Chen ‘25)

The most popular lunisolar calendar is the Chinese Lunisolar Calendar. It is also the foundation of most celebrations of the “Lunar New Year” in East Asia. The Chinese calendar divides the year into 24 solar terms, which correspond to the Sun’s locations in the tropical zodiac and are related to seasonal changes. These solar terms are used alongside lunar months, which begin on the day of the new moon, with full moons marking the middle of the month. Each year in the Chinese calendar is associated with one of the twelve animals of the Chinese zodiac that follows a 12-year cycle. 2024 is the year of Dragon (loong, which is different from western sense of dragon), representing good fortune, harmony, goodness, honour and dignity. The calendar also includes leap

Herry Shi ‘25 is making dumplings, and Carney Dong ‘25 is tasting soup to ensure the seasoning. (Zhihan Chen ‘25)

months every three years to reconcile the difference between lunar and solar years, ensuring that festivals and agricultural activities are seasonally appropriate. 

In China, the Lunar New Year celebration is also known as the Spring Festival. It incorporates various customs in different regions. Some widely rehearsed traditions include family New Year’s Eve dinner, making dumplings, red pockets for minors, and visiting families and friends.   At GC, some students visited Mrs. Linton, the Director of the International Program, to make dumplings together to celebrate the Lunar New Year last month. 

Carney Dong ’25 is cutting ginger for dipping.

Lunar New Year is not only a date on the calendar, but it is a celebration of starting anew.  We hope you all had a great Lunar New Year!