The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School

The Talon

• March 25April 11 – 14: Band and Chorus Members in Chicago for Music Competition. Break a leg!!!
  • March 25Wednesday, March 27 - GC Students Leave for Italy...CIAO!
  • March 25Easter Break: March 28 - April 7 ENJOY!!!

The Talon

The Talon

The Pride of GC

Danny C (from Pride of GC Instagram – @prideofgc))
The members of the Pride of GC Marching Falcons and Majorettes!

The Pride of GC consists of the talented band and majorettes team that always awes us with their artistic abilities. The majorettes typically meet after school to practice, while the band is a class on a typical eight-day schedule. When a concert is near, they practice before or after school. The Band at GC is big on connections and making friends, with Mindy Garay ’26 saying, “Always make sure you try and at least get to know the members in your community that you play with.” Friendships are common in the band, and there are several fun experiences; Andrew Neff ’26 describes one of those experiences as “putting together the full marching drill on the football field and playing for halftime.” The Pride of GC’s community spirit brings out the best in each member, who are very close, like a family. Mindy Garay, ’26, sums it up like this: “The best part for sure is the people I met in the band. I talk to them a lot and enjoy always talking to them. I just enjoy the community I have made in the band. It almost feels like another home”. 

Mr. Kramer ’07 teaches band and never fully intended to have this job. Throughout his life, he loved music and was a part of Good Counsel’s band when he attended school. To him, it only seemed like the natural order of things to teach a band. The Pride of GC is essential for the school community, as the teachers and student body agreed.

In 2004, the pep band turned into the Marching Falcons. At this time, Good Counsel’s president wanted to create a marching band to bring more ecstasy and energy to football games. Brett Taylor ’93 was hired to start and develop this, and in the fall of 2017, Mr. Kramer ’07 took over. He decided to rebrand it over the year, and in 2018, the Marching Falcons became a part of what we now know to be the Pride of GC.

The drumline of the Pride of GC- the backbone of the marching band always helping to bring the energy to our fans!

The Pride of GC also consists of the majorettes, who practice before and after school to prepare for a football game. Football games are a time for the GC community to get together and watch their incredible performances. As a majorette, one does not simply dance to a random tune; your movements must have personality. Majorette members have joined for many reasons. As Rachel Shrestha ’24 stated, “I decided to try out for the majorettes at the end of my sophomore year to try something new. I also decided to do so because some of my friends had been trying out as well.” If you want to join, do not be afraid! Everyone on the team is very welcoming. If you want to join, they will be there to help every step of the way. As Milenn Kini ’26 points out, “To any student aspiring to be a majorette, I would say I do not sweat it. Your dancing background does not matter; just dance as confidently as you can, and the rest will follow.” 

The Pride of GC, whether a band member or majorette, can bring GC students feelings of belonging and joy. If you are looking for a community where everyone feels welcome and you can showcase your talents, perhaps the Pride of GC is for you.