The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School

The Talon

• March 25April 11 – 14: Band and Chorus Members in Chicago for Music Competition. Break a leg!!!
  • March 25Wednesday, March 27 - GC Students Leave for Italy...CIAO!
  • March 25Easter Break: March 28 - April 7 ENJOY!!!

The Talon

The Talon

Do High Schoolers Get Enough Sleep?

Patrick Rochette ‘24 gets some much needed rest during his lunch block.
Ethan Bird ‘24

Sleep… such a simple beauty in a world of complexities, especially that of high schoolers. Getting enough sleep is an issue that is mentioned a lot but never really gets much light concerning change. One late night couldn’t do that much harm…right? One thing leads to the next, and a sleep schedule is altered after two or three nights.

With this problem in mind, how much sleep does the average high schooler need, and are most meeting that quota? According to the National Children’s Hospital, high schoolers generally need 9-9.5 hours of sleep each night. This number varies slightly from person to person, but this is a good jumping-off point. However, a small survey of GC students reveals the average amount of sleep to be 6.5 hours per night. This amount is similar to the national average of 7 hours per night for teenagers. It’s better, but still not great. In a brief interview, Oliver Scholl, ’24, said, “Realistically, I have days where I get 4 or 5 hours of sleep and others where I legitimately get 12 or more.”

But how much does a “full” night of sleep really matter?

The upper limit of being considered sleep deficient is 7 hours per night. Sleep deficiency is a widespread problem and has adverse effects like mood swings, riskier behavior, inhibited cognitive abilities, and poor academic performance—all in all, not a good combination of effects.

The fact is that far too many high schoolers are getting far too little sleep. Going to bed just a bit earlier could be the first step in raising that average, and it could make all the difference. Though it is not an option for all, it should be taken when available. 

Now go get some sleep!

Citations:

Sleep in Adolescence. Updated 2024. https://www.nationwidechildrens.org/specialties/sleep-disorder-center/sleep-in-adolescents. Accessed 18 January 2024.