The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School

The Talon

• March 25April 11 – 14: Band and Chorus Members in Chicago for Music Competition. Break a leg!!!
  • March 25Wednesday, March 27 - GC Students Leave for Italy...CIAO!
  • March 25Easter Break: March 28 - April 7 ENJOY!!!

The Talon

The Talon

Volunteer Opportunities in Our Area

Ismael Paramo via Unsplash
Giving back through volunteerism is at the core of the Good Counsel community.

At Good Counsel, students are required to complete at least twenty hours of community service annually. Completing community service hours is vital to our school’s mission to excel, serve, and love. It’s always good to have opportunities and different experiences anywhere. There are many varieties of volunteering opportunities in the Olney/Silver Spring area—things like dancing, singing, empowering, and engaging with people from different backgrounds. If you see something that interests you, click on the tile links below.

ArtStream

If you were wondering how to apply or learn more about an opportunity that might interest you, try ArtStream, an organization that provides classes, creativity, and exclusivity. Anyone is welcome, including people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. There are many opportunities to teach others. Their organization offers 850 classes and 4,711 volunteer hours annually, has helped 1,600 people with IDD, and has held 320 performances since 2007. Overall, this opportunity is a chance to use and share your talent. 

CaringMatters

“CaringMatters strives to develop and maintain a viable, transparent, and responsible non-profit organization.” CaringMatter supports people who are experiencing grief so they don’t feel that they are alone. This organization also gives those suffering without family someone who cares about them. There are many different aspects within CaringMatters that you could do. They are working with adults, those who don’t have family, and even children who are struggling with grief. If you would like to help, signup for the training. 

Call for Action

Call for Action stands for those who don’t have a voice to speak out for them in their community. Located in Rockville, MD, Call for Action is looking for volunteers to help those having trouble with businesses, government agencies, and other organizations. Call for Action will provide all required training. The organization requests volunteers give one set day per week for just a few hours, from 10 am to 3 pm. “This time is used not only to handle calls and complaints but also to investigate cases.” “Additionally, we request a commitment of one year.” This opportunity is great if you love investigations and helping others.

National Museum of Health and Medicine

Are you interested in art, culture, and health? If so, the National Museum of Health and Medicine is your place! They aim to “preserve and explore the impact of military medicine .”The National Museum of Health and Medicine was formed during the Civil War as a collection of specimens and artifacts for research related to trauma and pathology. If you love history and can remember what you learn, then you could be a tour guide for the museum. There is so much in the museum!

Francis on the Hill

This next one is great to do with a friend! Francis on the Hill is an organization that provides groceries and other necessities that homeless people need. There are five different things you could do there. You could bag groceries, help load Amazon fresh donations, drive your car to collect food donations, sort and package fresh foods, or set up and assist with bagging groceries, all for hungry families. Francis on the Hill is now trying to gather food and supplies to ship to Ukraine with their Ukrainian partners. 

City Dogs & City Kitties Rescue

Do you love dogs and cats? This next one is right up your alley if you do. “City Dogs & City Kitties Rescue rescues adoptable animals in overcrowded, under-resourced, rural kill shelters.” Their vision is a world where dogs and cats can live in a loving home without abuse, neglect, or abandonment. You could be a rescue foster, medical case manager, shelter liaison, application counselor, or holiday photographer. Come out and support the dogs and cats that need someone to interact with. 

Mr. Abdo, the Director of Campus Ministry, expressed the importance of service hours and volunteering by stating, “Campus Ministry selects its organizations for service based on a few different criteria. The organizations we select fall under the categories of “non-profit,” have a religious affiliation, serve the poor and marginalized, animal shelters, or stewardship of the earth. We also add organizations to our current list through suggestions from the community, students, and parents alike.” 

Remember that volunteerism strengthens both you and your community.  So, find something that you love and sign up!