The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School

The Talon

• March 25April 11 – 14: Band and Chorus Members in Chicago for Music Competition. Break a leg!!!
  • March 25Wednesday, March 27 - GC Students Leave for Italy...CIAO!
  • March 25Easter Break: March 28 - April 7 ENJOY!!!

The Talon

The Talon

GC Athlete Feature Q&A – Sammie Morin ‘24

Sammie Morin ‘24, one of GCs student-athletes, excels both on and off the volleyball court
Danny Chung-A-Fung “24
Sammie Morin ‘24, one of GC’s student-athletes, excels both on and off the volleyball court

When you think of Good Counsel, you probably think about its great athletic program. GC has won over 70 WCAC titles in the last decade alone, and graduates have gone on to play at the highest level in both college and professional sports. GC is always among the best sports schools in the area, in part because of our tremendous student-athletes. 

In this recurring segment, you will be able to get to know some of the GC athletes who go out and represent our school in athletic events.

Today we get to feature Sammie Morin ‘24, who plays volleyball for GC. Sammie is a very accomplished student-athlete that excels both on and off the volleyball court. In addition to being a captain for her team, Sammie is an IB diploma candidate, an XBSS leader, and part of the Executive Board of the GC National Honor Society (NHS). 

Introduction:

When and why did you start playing volleyball?

I started playing volleyball in 5th grade because my older sister, Hannah, played. I enjoyed watching her play, and I wanted to try it out myself. 

What position do you play?

I am a pin hitter, primarily an outside. Being a pin hitter means I can hit from both the front left (also called an outside hitter) and front right (also called a right side hitter) sides of the court. Pin hitters are usually expected to also play defense across the back row, and they can hit the back row as well. 

What’s your favorite part about playing volleyball?

My favorite part about playing volleyball is working hard with my amazing teammates and friends. I have the most fun during long, crazy rallies where everyone is giving all they have to win the point.  

Volleyball:

What has been your greatest challenge playing volleyball- and how have you overcome it?

My greatest challenge has been balancing the demanding school schedule with long practices and tournaments. I have learned to use all of my time wisely, in school and out. Sometimes that means doing my homework in the car on the way to practice, or in between matches at the convention center. 

What’s the team environment like? What do you all do to bond on and off the court?

Our team is the most supportive and uplifting environment I am a part of. We are all friends and enjoy each other’s company. Most of our bonding comes from making it through difficult practices and games together, but we also like to drive to Olney Town Center to pick up food before practices. 

What’s your pregame hype song?

Let the Games Begin by AJR

In October, the volleyball team had its annual Dig Pink fundraiser. How did the fundraising efforts go and what’s the reason behind the efforts?

Picture of the volleyball team during their Dig Pink Game in October. Sammie says that Dig Pink is her favorite event of the year, and the team was able to raise thousands of dollars for cancer research.
(Sammie M. ’24)

The Dig Pink event raises money to support metastatic breast cancer research through the Side-Out Foundation. We sell t-shirts and cupcakes, make posters, and raise awareness about the Side-Out Foundation’s mission. This year went stellar. We raised thousands and had great student participation throughout the school. Dig Pink is always my favorite event of the year. I love all of the prep work that goes into it, the cause, and seeing the gym filled with pink!

School:

What’s your favorite class in school?

IB Biology HL with Mrs. Haight

What are you interested in studying after high school?

I have not fully decided, but I know I want to pursue an interdisciplinary course path. Right now I am considering a major in Neuroscience with a concentration in Computer Science. 

How do you manage to play a sport and keep up with school (especially since you’re in the IB program)?

It is very difficult, and I am playing with the balance each week. For the most part, I make sure to get as much work as I can done during the school day. I have learned to prioritize my work to make sure the big assignments are done when I have the most time and energy to dedicate to them while the smaller ones can be done later in the night. Some weeks are more demanding for volleyball than others, depending on our tournament schedule, so I will try to get as much work done before we travel as I can, so that I can focus on playing over the weekend. Similarly, weeks closer to AP tests or the end of the year can be more demanding for school, so I will usually save my two academic days for those weeks which allow me to miss practice for that day and focus on studying. 

In addition to being a volleyball captain, you were also selected to the XBSS leadership team at GC. What made you want to join the XBSS team and what do you and the team hope to accomplish this year? 

I wanted to leave GC better than I found it, so I thought joining XBSS was a great way to do that. I hope to make the GC community closer through the new Falcon Mentorship program, and I hope to make the nationwide XBSS network closer through new additions to Founders Week and activities with St. Mary’s Ryken and Mount St. Joseph’s, two XBSS schools in Maryland. 

Legacy/Family:

Who would you say is/ has been your biggest inspiration?

Both of my parents are my biggest inspirations and supporters. My mom is the one who has encouraged me to devote so much time and attention to school, and who has helped me discover a love for learning. My dad is the one who helps me with managing all the activities I have taken on, and who encourages me to expand my dreams for the future. 

How do you feel that it’s your last year competing in high school? What has your favorite memory been during your high school career?

While I am sad to be coming to the end of my time as a GC volleyball player, I am forever grateful for the community. I have two favorite memories from my career. First is the dance parties we throw in the locker room, and second is beating St. John’s at St. John’s my sophomore year.  

Your brother, Jack Morin ‘25 is also an athlete at GC on the baseball team. Do you think athleticism runs in your family?

Sammie (right) pictured with her younger brother, Jack Morin ‘25 (left) who plays on the GC baseball team. Sammie credits her dad for getting her and her brother into sports at a young age, starting with coaching their co-ed t-ball team.
(Sammie M.)

I would say so. My sibling’s and my athleticism comes from our dad. He played baseball growing up and was a college golf athlete. Our dad gave Jack and I an early introduction to sports, starting when we were 3 and 4, by coaching our Co-ed T-ball team. He has been the biggest impact on my sports career because he was the coach of most of my teams growing up, and now he travels with both of us to our games and tournaments.

What do you want your legacy to be at GC?

I want to be remembered for helping benefit the GC community, and I hope this will come from our XBSS projects this year. 

If you would like to be featured in a future GC Athlete Feature, please email Danny C. at [email protected]