The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School

The Talon

• March 25April 11 – 14: Band and Chorus Members in Chicago for Music Competition. Break a leg!!!
  • March 25Wednesday, March 27 - GC Students Leave for Italy...CIAO!
  • March 25Easter Break: March 28 - April 7 ENJOY!!!

The Talon

The Talon

GC Athlete Feature

Q&A with Jackson Gresham ‘26
Q and A with GC student-athlete and soccer player Jackson Gresham 26
Danny Chung-A-Fung “24
Q and A with GC student-athlete and soccer player Jackson Gresham ’26

When you think of Good Counsel, you probably think about its great athletic program. GC has won over 70 WCAC titles in the last decade alone, and graduates have gone on to play at the highest level in both college and professional sports. GC is always among the best sports schools in the area, in part because of our tremendous student-athletes. 

In this recurring segment, you will be able to get to know some of the GC athletes who go out and represent our school in athletic events.

Today we feature Jackson Gresham ‘26, who plays soccer for GC. Jackson just wrapped up his second season on the Varsity Soccer team, where he was named a WCAC Honorable Mention. 

In this interview, Jackson talks about what it’s like to play with his older brother, Robbie Gresham ‘24, as well as his interests off the field, including his love of art.

Introduction:

When and why did you start playing soccer?

I started playing soccer when I was about four, I wanted to play with all my friends and have fun.

What position do you play?

I play center back.

What’s your favorite part about playing soccer?

I love playing soccer because I forget about everything else that’s happening and it is my time to be creative with no consequences.

Soccer:

What has been your greatest challenge playing soccer- and how have you overcome it?

My greatest challenge is keeping my head up after facing adversity. I get through this by staying calm and working harder to overcome challenges.

What’s the team environment like? What do you guys do to bond on and off the field?

The team environment is amazing, it’s like a family and everyone works and fights for each other. Off the field we have team dinners for team bonding.

What’s your pregame hype song?

Lose Yourself – Eminem

School:

What’s your favorite class in school?

My favorite classes are Honors Drawing and Chemistry. 

What are you interested in studying after high school?

After high school I’m interested in some sort of art or science major.

Jackson Gresham ’26

About my art: When I do art I don’t usually follow any guidelines and just go with whatever I think of. I don’t make names for them either because I want people to have the chance to see it from their own perspective and create a vision of what they think it is.

— Jackson Gresham '26

Jackson Gresham ’26

Legacy:

Who would you say is/ has been your biggest inspiration?

Jackson Gresham ‘26 (left, #3) and brother Robbie Gresham ‘24 (right, #8). Jackson says that even though he never thought he would be playing alongside his older brother, “it was definitely worth it.” (Danny Chung-A-Fung “24)

My great grandpa is my biggest inspiration. In 1915 his family was in the Armenian Genocide. He saw his family get killed and managed to escape with his little sister. They later went to an orphanage and came to America to start a new life.

What is it like playing with your brother, captain Robbie Gresham ‘24?

It is something that I never thought could happen. I’m really sad that it is over, but he has taught me a lot in these past two seasons together. It felt a little weird playing with Robbie because I never thought I would be playing with my older brother, but it was definitely worth it.

How has soccer shaped you as a person?

It has made me a good person on and off the field and has taught me lots of discipline and taught me how to stay calm in big situations.

If you would like to be featured in a future GC Athlete Feature, please email Danny C. at [email protected]