The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School

The Talon

• March 25April 11 – 14: Band and Chorus Members in Chicago for Music Competition. Break a leg!!!
  • March 25Wednesday, March 27 - GC Students Leave for Italy...CIAO!
  • March 25Easter Break: March 28 - April 7 ENJOY!!!

The Talon

The Talon

Delicious Thanksgiving Recipes

Madeleine Tiongson ‘25
Grandpa’s spinach casserole and Holiday green beans are featured on this Thanksgiving plate!

On Thanksgiving, the turkey is always the star of the show. But what about the other dishes? This article includes three recipes for delicious sides that may even outshine the turkey!

Grandpa’s Spinach Casserole

Ingredients:

2 packages of frozen chopped spinach

4 tablespoons of unsalted butter

2 tablespoons of flour

2 tablespoons of chopped onion

½ cup spinach juice

½ cup evaporated milk

½ teaspoon of ground pepper

½ teaspoon of celery seed

¾ teaspoon of garlic salt

1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce

6 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese

Instructions:

1. Cook the spinach in a microwave, then drain in a colander with a bowl placed underneath, this is to catch the spinach juice. Apply pressure with a utensil to extract as much juice as possible. 
  2. Melt the butter and slowly add the flour and other ingredients, except the cheddar cheese.
  3. Cook in a small saucepan, when thick, stir in spinach. Put everything in a casserole dish and cover with cheddar cheese. Then bake at 325ºF for about 30 minutes.
  4. Serve warm and enjoy! 

Grandpa’s Holiday Asparagus

Ingredients:

2 pounds of fresh asparagus

¾ cup of olive oil

¼ cup of red wine vinegar

3 tablespoons of sweet green pickle relish

3 tablespoons of chopped italian parsley

2 ounce jar of chopped pimento

3 chopped scallions (white and light green parts only)

Ground pepper and a touch of salt

Instructions:

1. Snap the ends off of each asparagus stalk, then cook them in a pot of boiling water. Boil for 6 minutes for thick stalks and 3-5 minutes if stalks are thinner. 
  2. Drain the asparagus in a colander then quickly dip into cold water to keep the nice green color. Then drain again. 
  3. Dry the asparagus with paper towels and place into a casserole dish evenly spaced (as best possible).
  4. Combine all of the other ingredients in a container with a lid, beginning with the olive oil and shake until well combined. 
  5. Pour the marinade over the asparagus,coat evenly. Then cover and place into a refrigerator for a minimum of two hours. 
  6. Serve chilled and enjoy!

Four-cheese Mac & Cheese

Ingredients:

1 pound of macaroni pasta

4 ounces of cream cheese

4 cups of heavy cream

2 teaspoons of salt

2 teaspoons of white pepper

2 teaspoons of paprika

2 teaspoons of garlic powder

2 teaspoons of onion powder

½ cup of pasta water

8 tablespoons of butter

4-6 minced garlic cloves

1 minced shallot

3 tablespoons of flour

8 ounces of freshly grated cheddar cheese (sharp or mild)

8 ounces of freshly grated gruyere cheese (or pepper jack cheese)

8 ounces of freshly grated white cheddar cheese

Instructions:

1. In a large pot add heavy cream, cream cheese, and seasonings, then simmer on low heat. Do not allow it to simmer for too long, this is only to warm it up while preparing the rest of the dish. 
  2. In another large pot, add water and bring to a boil, then add the macaroni pasta and a large pinch of salt. Boil until al dente. Make sure to save 1/2 cup of pasta water. Drain the pasta and set to the side.
  3. In the same pot, add in the butter and sauté the minced garlic and shallot for 2-4 minutes on medium heat.
  4. Add in the flour and continue to stir until it develops a light golden color. Then add in the simmered heavy cream mixture and the pasta water.
  5. Once well combined, add in the freshly grated cheeses. Mix until melted and creamy.
  6. Once the sauce is complete, add in the cooked macaroni pasta and stir until well coated.
  7. Using the baking dish to serve your pasta in, add a layer of macaroni, a layer of cheese, another layer of macaroni, and another layer of cheese. Repeat as many times as desired.
  8. Bake at 350°F until satisfied with how golden and toasted the top layer of cheese becomes. This can take about 10-20 minutes based on preference. 
  9. Serve warm and enjoy! 

Source:

Mariam. “Thanksgiving Series: The BEST Mac & Cheese 🎞⏲.” Instagram, @mxriyum, www.instagram.com/reel/CWJgFp-vSHY/. Accessed 16 Nov. 2023.