The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School

The Talon

• March 25April 11 – 14: Band and Chorus Members in Chicago for Music Competition. Break a leg!!!
  • March 25Wednesday, March 27 - GC Students Leave for Italy...CIAO!
  • March 25Easter Break: March 28 - April 7 ENJOY!!!

The Talon

The Talon

GC Athlete Feature

Q&A with Danny Bonato ‘24
Danny Chung-A-Fung “24
In this article, Talon writer Danny Chung-A-Fung ’24 sits down to talk about football and life with GC starter Danny Bonato ’24.

When you think of Good Counsel, you probably think about its great athletic program. GC has won over 70 WCAC titles in the last decade alone, and graduates have gone on to play at the highest level in both college and professional sports. GC is always among the best sports schools in the area, in part because of our tremendous student-athletes.

In this recurring segment, you will be able to get to know some of the GC athletes who go out and represent our school in athletic events.

Today we get to feature Danny Bonato ‘24, who is a wide receiver on the varsity football team. Danny is following in the footsteps of his father, John who played college football at the University of Maryland. While Danny also would like to play football at the collegiate level, his focus is having a strong season in his final year of high school football.

Introduction:

• When and why did you start playing football?

Danny calls his dad his biggest inspiration because “he never quit”. (Bonato Family)

I really don’t remember a time I didn’t have a football in my hands. My dad played football at Maryland and all my uncles, along with my cousins played the sport. You could say I grew up in a football family which made me fall in love with the sport.

• What position do you play? 

I started off playing running back when I first started because no one could catch me. I then transitioned to quarterback in my middle school days. Once I got to high school I made the switch to wide receiver because I didn’t have the best arm and knew I could use my speed at receiver to make a difference.

• What’s your favorite part about playing football? 

My favorite part about football is when you make those big plays and you feel as if you’re on top of the world. Along with those close games that come down to the last minute. There’s no better feeling when you pull off that win and get to celebrate with your team.

Football:

• What has been your greatest challenge playing football- and how have you overcome it?

My greatest challenge has been adapting to the high school level especially with starting a new position when I got to high school. Working up to the starting spot took a lot of work gaining the trust of my coaches and teammates. It took a lot of patience for my time to finally come.

• What’s the team environment like? What do you all do to bond on and off the field? 

There is nothing like the GC football environment. We are with each other more than anyone else. We spend all summer with each other at workouts and practice and off the field we chill and go get some food after a long day’s work.

• What’s your pregame hype song?

I couldn’t say one song and it changes a lot but currently I would say “Wants and Needs” by Drake and Lil Baby.

School:

• What’s your favorite class in school? 

My favorite class right now is Athletic Training. It is interesting to see the healing process of all the different injuries.

• What are you interested in studying after high school? 

I would probably say sports medicine because I want to be around sports in my future. It catches my attention and I enjoy learning about it.

Legacy:

• Who would you say is/ has been your biggest inspiration?

Danny Bonato with his dad, John, who played college football at the University of Maryland. (Bonato Family)

My biggest inspiration is my dad. His road to playing college football is truly inspiring because he never quit. My dad is also my biggest supporter- he makes sure he has food when I get home, makes sure I ice before bed and has never missed a game.

• How do you feel that it’s your last year competing in high school? What has your favorite memory been during your high school career? 

It’s heartbreaking to think this is my last season of high school football. It goes by way too fast and I wish I didn’t take things for granted. My favorite memory is when this past summer we went back to back winning championships at West Virginia and Penn State 7on7 tournaments.

• Looking back, is there anything you would have done differently either on/off the field during your high school years? 

Looking back I would change my attitude towards practice. I took all these years for granted and looking back I wish I took a different attitude to every practice and never took plays off.

• What do you want your legacy to be at GC? 

I want to be seen as a person who never quit and always went hard even through the hard times.

###

If you would like to be featured in a future GC Athlete Feature, please email Danny C. at [email protected]!