The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School

The Talon

• March 25April 11 – 14: Band and Chorus Members in Chicago for Music Competition. Break a leg!!!
  • March 25Wednesday, March 27 - GC Students Leave for Italy...CIAO!
  • March 25Easter Break: March 28 - April 7 ENJOY!!!

The Talon

The Talon

GC Students Summer Reads

Social Cut on Unsplash

Summer reading doesn’t need to be confined to your required school books – branching out and exploring new genres and styles of writing over the summer can prepare you for the upcoming school year and provide some excellent summer entertainment. We know you can’t enjoy these books on the beach, but as fall approaches, we hope you pick up one of the recommendations from other GC students. 

Barnes & Noble

The Shadow Hero by Gene Luen Yang – Graphic novel fans, this one is for you! The Shadow Hero is a wonderfully illustrated story about a young boy in 1940 who finds the courage to fight off bullies through his superhero persona. Short and sweet, this book was recommended by a freshman class member! If you like this book, the student also recommended “American Born Chinese,” another graphic novel by the same author.

Scholastic 

Ballads of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins – If you loved reading The Hunger Games or watching the movies, you will find this read very interesting. Many GC students recommended it as a thrilling, dystopian novel that provides some insight into the history behind the original characters in the known and loved Hunger Games trilogy. 

Roberts Brothers

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott – Coming to you from GC senior Eva Turcanova, this classic is sure to add to your reading list. She says, “It may not seem like it, but the book is such a feminist work of literature, especially for the time.” Turcanova, who has read the book many times, says the characters are spirited, and the storyline takes readers through a whirlwind of emotions.

Lippincott

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston – A true classic of the Harlem Renaissance, this recommendation is from the author, Sarah Gandluri ‘24. This book is perfect for anyone – and has messages that apply to everyone. The novel tells the story of a heartbreaking, joyful, and entirely human experience with love and independence.