The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School

The Talon

• March 25April 11 – 14: Band and Chorus Members in Chicago for Music Competition. Break a leg!!!
  • March 25Wednesday, March 27 - GC Students Leave for Italy...CIAO!
  • March 25Easter Break: March 28 - April 7 ENJOY!!!

The Talon

The Talon

GC Athletes Feature

Q&A With Field Hockey Player Hailey Huebner ‘24
Senior Hailey Huebner,24, Center Back for Good Counsels Girls Field Hockey Team
Danny Chung-A-Fung ‘24
Senior Hailey Huebner,’24, Center Back for Good Counsel’s Girl’s Field Hockey Team

When you think of Good Counsel, you probably think about its great athletic program. GC has won many WCAC titles in the last decade alone, and graduates have gone on to play at the highest level in college and professional sports. GC is consistently among the area’s best sports schools, partly because of our tremendous student-athletes. 

In this recurring segment, you will be able to get to know some of the GC athletes who go out and represent our school in athletic events.

Our first featured athlete is Hailey Huebner, ’24, who plays both field hockey and lacrosse for GC. The following questions are related to her field hockey experiences, given that we are currently in field hockey season.

Introduction:

When and why did you start playing field hockey?

I started playing field hockey freshman year to give myself something to do in the fall.

What position do you play?

Center back!

Field Hockey:

What has been your greatest challenge playing field hockey- and how have you overcome it?

I was really behind everyone in stick skills because I started so late, but I put in some extra time at home and got myself caught up. 

Why should people come out and support the GC field hockey team?

I think this is the most talented team we have had in a long time, and it is super fun to watch!!

What’s your pregame hype song?

Quittin’ Time (Live) by Zach Bryan

School:

What’s your favorite class in school?

Danny Chung-A-Fung ‘24

Biology

How do you manage to play a sport and keep up with school?

I do all my homework during school, so I don’t have anything to do when I get home from practice.

Legacy:

Who would you say is/ has been your biggest inspiration?

George Boiardi was a Cornell lacrosse player who died after getting hit with a ball. My favorite book, The Hard Hat, is about him!

Hailey’s favorite book is The Hard Hat, which tells the story  of George Boiardi. Boiardi was considered a “selfless, loyal, hard-working, competitive teammate” (Amazon.com), and this book teaches about the important life lessons we can learn from him.

How do you feel that it’s your last year competing in high school? What has your favorite memory been during your high school career?

I am definitely going to miss [playing field hockey], but beating Ireton off a stroke last year in the semifinal is one of my favorites. 

What do you want your legacy to be at GC?

I want to be remembered as the best player and leader possible.

If you want to be featured or know a GC athlete who should be featured in a future GC Athlete Feature, please email Danny C. at [email protected]