It’s Never Too Late To Get Involved

A Look at Good Counsel’s Clubs

Good Counsel’s Club Fair was held on September 23rd and 24th to showcase the multitude of clubs at the school. Unfortunately, much of the student population, specifically the freshmen and sophomores, have never experienced a club fair in person, so this event was especially exciting! If, at the time, you decided to wait before signing up for a club, this piece will refresh your memory and provide some insight into the clubs. 

Academic clubs

Amnesty International

Amnesty International is a non-profit organization dedicated to human rights. This club aims to educate students on human rights issues and participate in activities that support human rights initiatives. Activities include:

• Organizing letter-writing campaigns.
  • Attending meetings organized by Amnesty International.
  • Brainstorming outreach ideas with club members.

Moderated by Patricia Reyes-Vasco and Cynthia Posluszny and led by Victoria Walston

State Delegate Anne Kaiser with Richard Burns and Oliver Wolcott, at Politics and Government Club Meeting (olgchs)

Politics and Government Club

The Politics and Government Club is open to all students and seeks to broaden student understanding of the U.S. political and governmental system. While the club encourages its members to express their own political opinions, it is non-partisan. Thus, civility and respect for the views of others is a basic tenet of this organization.  

Moderated by Richard Burns and led by Aaron Siegle and Owen Legrady

Mu Alpha Theta Mathematics Honor Society

The Mu Alpha Theta Mathematics Honor Society is an internationally recognized organization that distinguishes students who enjoy and excel in math. Good Counsel’s chapter will meet once every three weeks (specific dates based on member availability). The meetings will primarily consist of tutoring opportunities and participating in countrywide math competitions.

Moderated by Colleen Shames and led by Taylor Morrison

Hobby Clubs

Core Club

The Core Club is an excellent way for students to relieve stress after a long school day. We will meet every couple of weeks and complete a 30-45 minute workout. All skill levels and abilities are encouraged to join. Workouts may include HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training), yoga, ab exercises, or stretching.

Moderated by Kelly Massino and led by Riley Norris

E-Sports Club

The club’s objective is to create an atmosphere of teamwork and community under a competitive environment. It also provides a source of constructive criticism on how to improve on games that we all love and to find friends with similar interests throughout the school. Current game possibilities are Rainbow 6 Siege, Rocket League, Overwatch, DotA 2, CS:GO, and Titanfall 2. Once we have selected a game, practice will begin. Eventually, we will play teams from other schools and online.  

Moderated by Lauren Cissell and led by Peter DeLalio and Christian Cauthen-Lewis

Mission Ocean Club

The objective of our club is to spread awareness about water pollution. Fourteen billion pounds of trash is dumped into the ocean yearly, and our club would like to share how vital cleaning these oceans are for our community. Our goal is to spread awareness about the pollution in our oceans and other bodies of water and share how this pollution affects the life living in the water.

Moderated by Stephen Garland and led by Ellie Kim and Jacklyn Garland

Service Clubs

Ava Suko ’23

Art of Sonder

“Sonder” is the realization that every passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own. In the “Art of Sonder” club, students are given the opportunity to bring awareness and advocate for diverse social issues, both locally and around the world, using their creative talents. The club meets once a month for an hour. The club will identify a cause for each meeting and learn about it through presentations, videos, discussions, and activities. Students will then reflect and express what they have learned and experienced through individual and group projects, which will be presented at the end of the year. Service hours can be earned through creative contributions supporting social issues and attending teach-ins.

Moderated by Maggie Bykowski and led by Annika Girish

Lifting Lives

Lifting Lives seeks to help communities impacted by educational inequality through fundraising, supply drives, extracurricular enrichment, and advocacy work. Our extracurricular and advocacy work often manifests in the form of virtual events. Join us for curated workshops, webinars, panels, and forums.

Moderated by Leslie Young and led by Sydney Campbell and Bridget Trebon

Bridge Club

The Bridge Club is founded on the simple desire to help the disenfranchised and neglected community and individuals of Zimbabwe. More specifically, the club will be targeting the rural community of Murewah. The goal for the club is to build a network of leaders that engage in progressive conversations about what we can do to help these exploited people. The Bridge Club will allow kids to become critical thinkers to truly understand and listen to the response from the people of Murewah. 

Moderated by Kelly Massino and Thabo Jamal Biti

Cultural Clubs

Black Student Association

The Good Counsel Black Student’s Association is a club that promotes academic excellence, social and political awareness. We are a proud group of students with a variety of ethnic backgrounds. As a club, we advocate for the wants and needs of black students at Good Counsel and work to educate those around us. We strive to celebrate culture and history and hope to foster a sense of community at Good Counsel. This year we plan to hold seminars, teach-ins, movie nights, and other fun activities to recognize those who came before us and put us on a pathway towards success.

Moderated by Kaya Harrison and Geomone Nolan Jonson and led by Sydney Campbell and Jillian Watts

Latino Student Association

To foster an understanding of the complexities of the Latinx identity in the United States and around the world. We welcome students of all backgrounds to join and participate.

Moderated by Patricia Reyes-Vasco and led by Rebeca Rivera and Luciana Wolcott

Spectrum Club

Pope Francis describes a genuinely human society as one where “each of its members is accompanied at every stage of life.” (Fratelli Tutti, 10) Inspired by this call to accompany one another, SPECTRUM aims to cultivate community among LGBTQ+ students and allies, stand together against bullying and violence, and promote an inclusive and equitable environment for all students. “Know that God created you, God loves you, and God is on your side.” (God Is On Your Side: A Statement from Catholic Bishops on Protecting LGBT Youth)

Moderated by Jennifer Cabigas and led by Ryan Scott and Z Tate

School Culture

Booster Club

Good Counsel Booster Club’s primary goal is to build school spirit by bringing students together in many different ways and participating in events that include, but are not limited to, athletic events, Pep Rally, Battle of the Classes, and other gatherings. In addition, the club supports various GC sports teams by planning events and leading the student section whenever possible.

Moderated by Pat Gittings and led by Jazzlyn Goldstein

GC Media Club

The GC Media Club involves all things media relating to the school. Besides including photography, videography, and editing activities for students to develop their skills, the new Falcon News Network (FNN) will fall in the GC Media Club. All club members will get a chance to practice and use cameras and editing software and participate in the FNN.

Moderated by Mac Kennedy and led by Alex Jaeger

Austringer Club

The Austringer accepts student art and creative writing submissions in the form of poetry and short prose. The club meets regularly to review submissions and decide what to publish for their annual magazine. We also maintain a website that provides information about literary and arts opportunities in the area. In addition, we host an annual poetry reading coffee house in the spring.

Moderated by Georgia Chaconas and led by Finn McManamee

A complete list of clubs can be found on the school website here.