The Talon

• April 15APRIL 18-22: Easter Break...May Your Easter be EGG-Cellent!

• April 11Support Post Prom - Mama Lucia's (Olney or Falls Grove) Tuesday, April 16 / 4 -10 pm

• April 11Support the Jamaica Mission Trip - Buy Krispy Kreme Donuts ($9/dz) on Wednesday, April 17 - Gallery/After School

The College Admissions Scandal

Back to Article
Back to Article

The College Admissions Scandal

wbnq.com

wbnq.com

wbnq.com

Christine Lolavar, A&E Editor

All parents want the best for their children and would do anything to ensure that their child has the best future possible. Sometimes, however, parents are a little too willing to bend or ignore school rules in order to do what they think is in the best interest for their child.

CNN.org

Fifty parents, including celebrities Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman, have been accused of paying their way to get their children into elite universities. The accusations include cheating on standardized tests, paying the proctor to change the student’s answers on the scantron, and bribing coaches and administrators to accept students as college athletes even if the student had never played that sport. This whole scheme was organized by William Rick Singer, who is the CEO of a college admissions prep company. He was selling the option to cheat on the SAT or ACT or use his connections with D1 coaches to get these children into their chosen university. These bribe payments were labeled as charitable contributions to the Key Worldwide Foundation, a nonprofit which was set up solely for Singer to attain the money. The universities caught up in the scandal include UC Berkley, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Wake Forest, the University of Texas at Austin, Georgetown, and Yale University.

The Daily Beast

Across the country, parents and students are outraged that wealthy families took spots at universities for less privileged, hard-working students. It is disappointing to think that a student who put in long hours training and practicing a sport, in hopes of one day playing at a university, never got their dream because a wealthy parent made a large donation so that their undeserving child got an acceptance letter. Universities across the US are reevaluating their admissions process in order to prevent this fraud from occurring in the future. 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/how-high-school-students-feel-about-college-admissions-scandal

• The College Admissions Scandal

Headlines

On the Road Making Music and Song!

• The College Admissions Scandal

Headlines

PLAY BALL!!!

• The College Admissions Scandal

Headlines

Cartoon of the Week

• The College Admissions Scandal

Headlines

Photos of the Week

• The College Admissions Scandal

Headlines

A Day With a Poet

• The College Admissions Scandal

Fashion & Style

Fashion at the Oscars!

• The College Admissions Scandal

Headlines

2019 Oscar Nominated Films: What’s Worth Watching…

• The College Admissions Scandal

Headlines

Romantic Movies That Make You Think

• The College Admissions Scandal

Fashion & Style

The Evolution of Street Wear in High Fashion

• The College Admissions Scandal

Headlines

Music of the Month – February’s Playlist

The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School
The College Admissions Scandal