The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School

The Talon

• March 25April 11 – 14: Band and Chorus Members in Chicago for Music Competition. Break a leg!!!
  • March 25Wednesday, March 27 - GC Students Leave for Italy...CIAO!
  • March 25Easter Break: March 28 - April 7 ENJOY!!!

The Talon

The Talon

Farewell and Gratitude

Idera Laifa ’24 Talon Co-executive Editor, 2023-2024

Hello Talon Readers,  

As many of you know the 2023-2024 school year is coming to an end already! It’s hard to believe that this fantastic year of the Talon is concluding so quickly. I have been honored with the privilege to lead my peers in another successful year of writing and displaying our wonderful talents to our school community.

This year the Talon has expanded on its traditions and talents. We have published 14 new additions to TwT and had a wildly successful Student Press Freedom Day. We have also introduced new segments like “The GC Athlete Feature” and “Falcon Speaks” highlighting the many talents of our Good Counsel Falcons. I’m very appreciative of all our writers, editors, and photographers for sharing their talents and their dedication to making the Talon incredible.

I am very proud to have been a part of a club that has taught me the importance of writing and more importantly the importance of community. When me and my fellow Talon seniors entered the Talon we were online, separated by the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. But now in 2024, we have built a bond and relationships with trust, respect, and collaboration.  

Next year we will have a new Co-Executive Editor Evan Nicholas ‘25 joining our current Co-Excutive Editor Maggie Friel ‘26 to continue values and principles in the Talon. I will always hold the Talon dear to my heart and read it as I journey on to the next chapter of my life, which is college!

I finally would like to thank Mrs. Essig and Ms. Neugebauer for having faith in me and giving me a role that I will cherish forever!

Always a Falcon,

Idera