The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School

The Talon

• March 25April 11 – 14: Band and Chorus Members in Chicago for Music Competition. Break a leg!!!
  • March 25Wednesday, March 27 - GC Students Leave for Italy...CIAO!
  • March 25Easter Break: March 28 - April 7 ENJOY!!!

The Talon

The Talon

From Old Vic to the Big Leagues: Two Former GC Students Drafted to the NFL

Photo by Adrian Curiel on Unsplash
The NFL Draft, three days of uncontained excitement and and anticipation.

This past week was the beginning of the 2024 NFL Draft, and it was covered in local talent. Specifically, Good Counsel had two alumni get chosen, Kris Jenkins Jr, pick 49 to the Cincinnati Bengals, and Cam Hart, pick 140 to the Los Angeles Chargers. 

Kris Jenkins ‘20 was drafted in the 2nd round by the Cincinnati Bengals.
(Courtesy of GC)

While at Good Counsel, Jenkins, Class of 2020, was a 3 Star Defensive Tackle and committed to the University of Michigan on July 3rd, 2019. During his senior year, he recorded 40 total tackles, 19 tackles for loss, 15 sacks,  five5 pass breakups, three 3 forced fumbles, and one1 fumble recovery touchdown. He is the son of former NFL player Kris Jenkins, who spent ten years in the league with the Carolina Panthers and the New York Jets. 

During Jenkins’ tenure at the University of Michigan, he earned some very valuable awards. He was named Second Team All-American in 2023 and , Second Team All Big 10 in 2023. M, and most importantly, Jenkins was a key piece in the University of Michigan’s undefeated CFP title-winning season this past year. While at Michigan, Jenkins had 113 total tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, one1 interception, and one1 fumble recovery. This journey is what led him to

Cam Hart ‘19 was drafted in the 5th round by the Los Angeles Chargers.
(Courtesy of GC)

make it to the NFL.

Cam Hart, Good Counsel Class of 2019, was originally a wide receiver/linebacker and turned into a cornerback once he got to Notre Dame. As a wWide rReceiver at Good Counsel, Hart had 37 receptions for 643 yards and seven7 touchdowns his junior year. As a defensive back in his junior year, Hart had 30.5 tackles and two2 interceptions.

Once at Notre Dame, Hart would not play his freshman year. During his career at Notre Dame, Hart gathered 90 total tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, two2 interceptions, three3 forced fumbles, and one1 fumble recovery.

Good Counsel, and the WCAC, aren’t new to star athletes. Stefon Diggs went to GC, Kendall Fuller went to GC, and Victor Oladipo went to Dematha. L, long story short, this area produced some of the best athletes in recent years. Who knows what other athletes from GC will turn pro soon?