The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School

The Talon

• March 25April 11 – 14: Band and Chorus Members in Chicago for Music Competition. Break a leg!!!
  • March 25Wednesday, March 27 - GC Students Leave for Italy...CIAO!
  • March 25Easter Break: March 28 - April 7 ENJOY!!!

The Talon

The Talon

The PTSG (Preparing-Testing-Succeeding Guideline) to Avoid PTSD after Exam Day

Jason Coudriet on Unsplash
Sometimes successful test taking is all about being prepared.

As AP and IB testing season begins, the pressure to prepare for these rigorous exams intensifies. Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind.

PREPARING 

Do’s:

1. Begin studying for your exams ahead of time to avoid the stress of last-minute cram sessions. Making a study schedule and sticking to it is important for covering all the material.
  2. Familiarize yourself with the exam format and question types by practicing with past tests/quizzes. This will not only help you with the structure of the exam but also improve your time management skills.
  3. Use of review books, online resources, and study groups. Studying with friends and classmates can add extra motivation and support during the revisions.
  4. Make sure to have a little self-care during this time by getting enough sleep, eating healthily, and staying physically active. A balanced lifestyle will help you stay focused.

Don’ts:

1. Don’t Procrastinate! Avoid putting off studying until the last minute. This can lead to increased stress. Starting early gives you enough time to review the material thoroughly and, in turn, feel more confident going into the test.
  2. Putting off difficult topics will only hurt your performance on the exam. Put some extra time on the side for areas where you need improvement to ensure you understand the material.
  3. Make sure to prepare for exam day by being organized and having everything you need. This will help reduce any last-minute stress.

David Pennington via Unsplash

TESTING

On Exam Day:

1. Eat a well-balanced breakfast (after having that minimum of eight hours of sleep the night before) and don’t forget to pack a snack for later.
  2. Double-check that you have all the necessary materials, like your ID and a couple of pencils, the night before the exam. Being well-prepared means a better testing experience.
  3. Stay calm and focused during the exam by practicing relaxation techniques like deep breathing. Avoid discussing the exam with peers right before it starts to keep your mind clear and focused.
  4. Take a few moments to carefully read through all instructions at the beginning of the exam. Understanding the guidelines and time limits will help you approach the exam more confidently.
  5. Use your time wisely during the exam to make sure you can complete all sections or questions within the allotted timeframe. Prioritize easier questions and come back to harder ones if you have time left over.
  6. If you have leftover time, make a final review of your answers before submitting your exam. This allows you to catch any errors and make any corrections.
  7. Maintain an optimistic mindset throughout the exam, believing in your abilities and the preparation you’ve done. Remember that your performance on one exam does not define your intelligence or worth.

SUCCEEDING

By following these tips, you can go in on exam day with confidence and increase your chances of success. Preparation, self-care, and effective time management are key to navigating this challenging period successfully.

Sources:

College Board (https://apstudents.collegeboard.org/)

International Baccalaureate (https://www.ibo.org/)