The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School

The Talon

• March 25April 11 – 14: Band and Chorus Members in Chicago for Music Competition. Break a leg!!!
  • March 25Wednesday, March 27 - GC Students Leave for Italy...CIAO!
  • March 25Easter Break: March 28 - April 7 ENJOY!!!

The Talon

The Talon

J and J’s – 2024 NFL Mock Draft

Unsplash.com/photo-1512145559054
The NFL draft takes place from April 25-27 in Detroit.

The best part of the year is coming for football fans, the NFL season. With the NFL draft coming up very soon, let’s take a look at our projected top 10 picks and how they will affect their  new teams’ chances of getting into the playoffs. 

Justin:

1. Caleb Williams, USC QB, Chicago Bears

With the first overall pick, I think the Bears will take Caleb Williams. The consensus number 1 overall pick, the former WCAC star from our rival Gonzaga, has been the most hyped-up number-one pick in recent memory. Caleb Williams is an immense playmaker with a rocket arm, a no-brainer pick for the Chicago Bears after the Justin Fields experiment came to an end.

2. Jayden Daniels, LSU QB, Washington Commanders

The Heisman Trophy is a coveted award for the best player in college football, and this year Jayden Daniels was the recipient. Jayden Daniels is an electric playmaker with a playstyle very similar to former Washington QB Robert Griffin III. Even though there are some concerns about his size, Jayden Daniels is a fantastic prospect with insane potential.

3. Drake Maye, UNC QB, New England Patriots

At number 3, the New England Patriots select the other top quarterback prospect in the draft. Drake Maye is a very good improviser with a strong arm and a big frame. Even though he is a very raw prospect, if Drake Maye fixes some of his decision-making skills and his pocket presence, he will develop into an absolute beast at QB for the Patriots, a much needed change from the pocket quarterbacks under the Belichick reign.

4. Marvin Harrison Jr, Ohio State WR, Arizona Cardinals 

With the fourth pick, the Cardinals take the best talent in the draft, Mazeratti Marv. Harrison Jr’s dad, Marvin Harrison (Sr.), was an elite NFL WR, and his son has the potential to exceed his dad’s accolades. Marvin Harrison Jr is a big receiver with amazing hands, insane speed, and out of this world route running. The Cardinals will get their franchise WR with this pick.

5. JJ McCarthy, Michigan QB, Minnesota Vikings (MOCK TRADE WITH LOS ANGELES CHARGERS)

In my mock draft, the Minnesota Vikings trade up to number 5 to take their new franchise quarterback, JJ McCarthy. The national champion with Michigan will be an elite game manager in the NFL and has the intangibles and accuracy to be a great quarterback in the NFL.

6. Malik Nabers, LSU WR, New York Giants

The Giants take the second-best WR in a WR heavy draft class with Malik Nabers. The LSU playmaker was a big reason for Jayden Daniels’s Heisman season with his electric speed and the ability to lose his defender almost instantly.

7. Joe Alt, Notre Dame OT, Tennessee Titans

With this pick, the Tennessee Titans take the best offensive lineman in the draft to protect their new quarterback, Will Levis. Joe Alt has a massive frame and can dominate any rusher, perfect for a quarterback like Will Levis who likes to improvise.

8. Dallas Turner, Alabama EDGE, Atlanta Falcons

The Atlanta Falcons take arguably the best defensive player in the draft with Dallas Turner. The Atlanta Falcons have an elite offensive with their new quarterback, Kirk Cousins, so they will focus on the defensive side of the ball. Dallas Turner is a strong and powerful edge rusher with an elite bend, a perfect defensive playmaker for the young Falcons team.

9. Rome Odunze, Washington WR, Chicago Bears

After taking Caleb Willliams, the Bears give him a weapon to throw to Odunze. He has electric top-end speed and will take the top off of any defense. The Williams-Odunze connection will give the NFL nightmares for the next 5+ years, and the Bears could be a good team very soon.

10. Brock Bowers, Georgia TE, New York Jets

With the last pick of this mock draft, the Jets take the blue-chip TE prospect Brock Bowers. After an unsuccessful season last year, the Jets are looking to give their newly healthy quarterback Aaron Rodgers a great weapon, and Brock Bowers is that weapon. Brock Bowers will thrive with Aaron Rodgers, as he loves to throw to his tight ends. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft

Jack:

It’s that time of year again when all the sports are winding down, and we all want football back. Here I will give my top 10 picks of the 2024 NFL Draft.

1. Caleb Williams, USC QB, Chicago Bears

This is the first of two top-10 picks the Bears have this year after receiving this pick in a trade with the Carolina Panthers last year. WCAC star from Gonzaga Caleb Williams is a generational talent. He’s a playmaker who is gifted through his throwing ability while also being able to use his legs. Chicago just recently traded their QB, Justin Fields, to the Pittsburgh Steelers, so they are in dire need of a quarterback. Caleb Williams is the right choice for this valuable draft pick.

Jayden Daniels is coming off of a Heisman-winning season. He is the right choice for the Commanders, as they have recently signed Veteran QB Marcus Mariota, who is a mobile quarterback, just like Jayden Daniels. Mariota is expected to be used as a mentor for Daniels. Jayden Daniels is a great quarterback who can run just as well as he can pass, putting up great performances in the SEC against some of the best teams in all of the NCAA.

Drake Maye is a great player; he’s a guy who can perform well in any situation and is a playmaker. The Patriots need a quarterback, and Drake Maye is the clear pick for them. He has a great arm and uses his legs well when needed. I think he can thrive on this Patriots team; all they need to do is boost their receiving core and their offensive line.

4. Marvin Harrison J.R., OSU WR, Arizona Cardinals

Son of NFL Hall of Fame Receiver Marvin Harrison, this Ohio State receiver is the best in his position in this class by far. Harrison J.R. has great speed, amazing athleticism, and can catch nearly any ball thrown to him. This Cardinals team should roll with Kyler Murray at QB and take Marvin Harrison J.R. with their pick.

5. Malik Nabers, WR LSU, Los Angeles Chargers

The Chargers need help badly. They no longer have star players Austin Ekeler, running back, and wide receiver Keenan Allen. Malik Nabers is able to fill that receiver role. He played with Jayden Daniels at LSU and is a big reason why Daniels won the Heisman. The Chargers are already set with Justin Herbert at quarterback; all they need is a top-tier wide receiver, which Nabers can easily be. Malik Nabers is the best option for this struggling Chargers offense.

6. Rome Odunze, WR Washington, New York Giants

Rome Odunze is what the Giants need if they want to have a successful season next year. Odunze was the main receiver at the University of Washington, the team that lost in the National Championship; Odunze uses his speed to his advantage and should be feared by DBs across the league.

7. Joe Alt, OT Notre Dame, Tennessee Titans

Joe Alt is a great Offensive Tackle, someone that the Titans need. The Titans are set at QB with Will Levis and need someone to protect him. That’s where Alt comes into play. He was the man protecting QB Sam Hartman this past year at Notre Dame. Hartman performed really well as an effect of this pass protection. Joe Alt is the best pass protector in this draft.

8. Dallas Turner, EDGE Alabama, Atlanta Falcons

With the off-season acquisition of quarterback Kirk Cousins, the Atlanta Falcons need to pick defensively early on in this draft. Dallas Turner is where Atlanta needs to turn to. He’s a great edge rusher, playing in the SEC with Alabama. The Falcons struggled defensively this past season, and I think Dallas Turner can be the turnaround they’re looking for.

9. Jared Verse, EDGE FSU, Chicago Bears

Here we have the Bears AGAIN in the top 10, this time with their own pick. The Bears, having already drafted Caleb Williams by now in the draft, should be looking towards their defense. That’s where Jared Verse needs to be. This Edge Rusher helped Florida State go 13-1 this past season and miss the College Football Playoffs in a controversial decision. Verse is the guy the Bears need to guide this struggling defense.

10. Olumiyawa Fashanu, OT Penn State, New York Jets

We’ve got another WCAC star, again from Gonzaga, in this top 10. Olu Fashanu is a top-tier Offensive Tackle, a player that the New York Jets need this year. After losing quarterback Aaron Rodgers in his first game with the team, partly due to a poor offensive line, Olu Fashanu is the man for the Jets. Hopefully, adding him to their line will protect the veteran QB and lead the Jets to the playoffs.