The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School

The Talon

• March 25April 11 – 14: Band and Chorus Members in Chicago for Music Competition. Break a leg!!!
  • March 25Wednesday, March 27 - GC Students Leave for Italy...CIAO!
  • March 25Easter Break: March 28 - April 7 ENJOY!!!

The Talon

The Talon

Spotlight on GC’s Athletic Director: Mr. Steve Howes ‘91

Mr. Howes 91, GCs Athletic Director, seen here as coach of the Catholic University Men’s Basketball Team.
Courtesy of Mr. Howes ’91
Mr. Howes ’91, GC’s Athletic Director, seen here as coach of the Catholic University Men’s Basketball Team.

Good Counsel Athletics has many weekly events, but how do those get planned? Mr. Howes, our athletic director, is the man behind it all. Mr. Howes, a Good Counsel Class of 1991 graduate, previously was a coach for the Catholic University Cardinals Men’s Basketball team before coming to Good Counsel. Mr. Howes coordinates the activities for 24 of Good Counsel’s Athletic Teams. The Talon recently had the opportunity to have a quick interview with Mr. Howes to learn more about him and his job as AD. 

Note: This interview has been slightly edited for clarity. 

What is your role as Athletic Director?

I coordinate the activities for 24 sports programs at GC, manage the budget for the department, and supervise the staff of 125 full and part time coaches and administrators.

What are three things you want the GC comunity to know about you?

1. I am an alum of the class of 1991.

2. I started my career at GC as a history and religion teacher in addition to being an assistant boys basketball coach.

3. I was a college basketball coach for 20 years at Catholic University.

We are certainly grateful for all the work that Mr. Howes does to keep GC Athletics at the high standard it is.

Go Falcons!