The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School

The Talon

• March 25April 11 – 14: Band and Chorus Members in Chicago for Music Competition. Break a leg!!!
  • March 25Wednesday, March 27 - GC Students Leave for Italy...CIAO!
  • March 25Easter Break: March 28 - April 7 ENJOY!!!

The Talon

The Talon

Senior Spotlight #1: Jake Plainte

Jake Plainte 24, Good Counsel senior.
Courtesy of Jake Plainte ‘24
Jake Plainte ’24, Good Counsel senior.

Meet Jake Plainte, the starting pitcher on the GC baseball team! He is a Capricorn who is committed to playing baseball at Brown University and studying Economics or Political Science. Here is our senior spotlight interview with him!

What’s your favorite extracurricular activity?

My favorite extracurricular activity is Baseball. The baseball team at GC is a bunch of fun and is full of a bunch of great guys. I also enjoy playing Baseball outside of school on a club team that’s ranked #12 in the nation. 

What is your advice for freshmen? 

Get with a good group of guys or girls, surround yourself with people who are going to make you better and always be there for you. One of the most important keys to success in high school is surrounding yourself with likeminded people.

What’s your favorite class and teacher?

My favorite class has to be AP Calculus. It definitely is not the material in the class that I enjoy, but Mrs Squirlock is a great teacher and she keeps the class interesting. It also helps to have a couple friends in the class that make it a little more enjoyable. 

What’s your favorite GC lunch food?

Jake Plainte ‘24 (second from left, red tie) with his baseball teammates/manager during homecoming.
If Jake was in an apocalypse, he would want to have either Danny Montero ‘24 (far right), or Alex Bergen ‘24 (center, blue tie).
(Courtesy of Jake Plainte ’24)

I am a big fan of the grilled cheese at GC, nothing better than sitting through a couple long classes and downing 4 or 5 grilled cheese sandwiches. Something about them just hits different.

What is your favorite GC tradition?

I am a big fan of Friday night lights. I definitely wish we could get some of that energy at a couple baseball games but FNL is a great way to spend time supporting the school and a good way to spend some time with the boys. 

What’s one thing you wish you could change or have done differently?

If I could change one thing in my time at GC it would be trying out for Basketball and Soccer my Freshman and Sophomore year. I played AAU basketball and Club soccer growing up and all the way through middle school and if I had to go back I wish I would’ve given it a shot in high school. 

What GC senior do you want on your side of the apocalypse?

I would have to take my guy Danny Montero, he’s a very well prepared fellow who I feel could navigate his way through a zombie apocalypse. I do also want to add one person I would not take, that would be Alex Bergen. Berg just isn’t the guy you want fighting with you in a zombie apocalypse.