Building a Tradition One Stroke at a Time: GC Swim & Dive Season Highlights

OLGCHS

GC Seniors at the National Catholics Competition 2023

Earlier this month, 22 (out of 75) GC athletes competed at Metros, the championship meet that brings together the best athletes from public and private high schools across D.C., Maryland, and Virginia.  To put the results of this meet in perspective, it’s important to keep in mind that Maryland is one of the fastest swimming regions in the country. In the past ten years, four All-Met Swimmers of the Year have been Olympic medalists, and this year’s girls 200 free winner at Metros currently ranks fourth in the world. Placing in the top three at Metros in most cases now requires swimming an All-American time. As you can imagine, it’s tough to stand out in a field this strong. Viewed in this context, our athletes’ accomplishments are more impressive than they might otherwise appear to be. So, here’s how we did at Metros:

BOYS

1. Junior Owen Watkins WON the 50 free in an Automatic All-American time, upsetting the favorite from Gonzaga 
  2. Junior Chase Keeler placed 9th in 200 IM and logged the 4th fastest 100 backstroke time in GC history
  3. Rising stars Nikolai Kalinin (sophomore) and Timmy Hanson (freshman) contributed to top ten relay finishes

GIRLS

1. Senior Madison Smith (University of Michigan commit) took home 2nd in 500 free and 4th in 200 free, achieving All-American Consideration times in both
  2. Senior Brookelynn Weinberg (Gettysburg College commit) finished 8th in 100 breaststroke and qualified for Junior Nationals 
  3. Sophomore Fiona Tworkowski finished 8th in diving
  4. Sophomores Kate Miller (a three sport GC athlete) and Lauren Smith each scored in the top twenty in one event
  5. Freshman Kellie Kincaid was the highest placing freshman at the meet in both of her events (5th in 500 free; 11th in 200 IM)  
  6. Freshman Celia Watkins finished 14th and 16th in her events
  7. Senior Erin Haines and junior Kaley Markovitz rounded out the roster of scoring athletes on relays

As we all know, great leadership is not the exclusive domain of top performers. If you get the chance, please also congratulate Sophia Hoover, Caroline Lengel, Cameron Thompson, and Ben Miller, who have kept the train on the tracks all season.

Congratulations to all!