In the Pool, Life is Cool, Swimmers Rule

In Unconventional Year GC Swim & Dive Makes Strides

Due to Covid-19, there was not a high school season for the Good Counsel swimmers this year. However, there were club team meets. Many remarkable times were achieved in these meets that would have been significant achievements in the high school league. Unfortunately, these times will never make it to the Good Counsel record books due to the pandemic. However, these times should not go unrecognized, and these swimmers should be acknowledged for their hard work and achievements. 

Sarah Culkin ’21 (Courtesy of GC Swim and Dive)

In a regular season, Sarah Culkin ’21 would have broken two team records. These records would have included the team record for 100-meter backstroke (55.45), previously held by Catherine Mulquin ’13. She would have also earned All-American Consideration honors for her performance. Culkin also would have broken the record for the 100-meter fly with a time of 54 seconds. Olivia French ’16 previously held the record, and Culkin would have received Automatic All-American honors for her achievement. 

Another senior, Nick Keeler ‘21, would have earned his first spot on the top ten list in 100-meter backstroke. 

Sean Santos ’22 (Courtesy of GC Swim & Dive)

Sean Santos ’22 would have moved into third place on the Top-Ten list and earned All-American Consideration honors for his performance in the 500-meter freestyle (4:30.88). Santos would have also moved onto the Top-Ten list for both 100-meter backstroke and 200-meter individual medley. 

Sophomore Madison Smith ‘23 would have broken the team record for the 200-meter freestyle. The record was previously held by Liz Kemp ’06 and would be topped by Smith with a time of 1:48.95, which would have also earned All-American Consideration honors. She would have also earned All-American Consideration honors for her achievements in the 500-meter freestyle (4:54.99), which would have also moved into second place on the GC All-Time Top-Ten list. She would have also earned spots on the Top-Ten list in the 200-meter individual medley, 50-meter freestyle, and 100-meter freestyle. 

Madison Smith ’23 (Courtesy of GC Swim and Dive)

Both sophomores Brookelynn Weinberg ‘23 and Erin Haynes ‘23 would have moved up in the Top-Ten list in the 100-meter breaststroke.

*We would like to thank Ms. Beth Silva for providing information for this article.