The Talon

A 9/11 Story: A Good Counsel Connection

Back to Article
Back to Article

A 9/11 Story: A Good Counsel Connection

Alexia Ayuk, News and Special Projects Editor

Our country’s motto after the vicious attacks on the Twin Towers seventeen years ago became “never forget.” This vow became a way to show our gratitude for those who risk their lives daily to provide for our safety as well as to display a united front as a country.

At times, we may feel far-removed from the event that took place over a decade ago, but many of those brave first responders continue to live with the terrible ramifications because of their heroism that day.

Dr. Patricia Riely, a Good Counsel math teacher, knows all too well how these consequences can affect a family. Dr. Riely’s younger brother, Brian Lavin, was a police detective in New York City during the time of the attacks. He was not on site when the planes were hit but were called in once the plane hits began. As a part of the rescue and recovery effort, thousands of detectives and forensic evidence specialists worked at the landfill, Fresh Kills, where they took the debris and remnants from the 9/11 crash. The hope was to find anything that could be returned to the families of the victims. Lavin spent the rest of his time as a detective dedicated to this effort. What Dr. Riley noted to me was that, at the time, they had no idea what those working on the sites were filling their bodies with and bringing back to their homes.

Five years after Lavin retired from the force, he had surgery, and it was discovered that he had stage 4 cancer. Due to new technology and research, his doctors were able to tie his toxin build up back to the 9/11 attacks and from which site on the landfills he received it. Lavin had nerve damage down both his arms and his neck muscles had to be removed which shifted his body alignment, but through years of chemotherapy and radiation, “he made it through which is huge!” Dr. Riely exclaimed.

Almost everyone who was a part of that rescue and recovery effort at Fresh Kills, to some extent, endured some physical ramifications. Luckily, Brian Lavin has a great support system in his wife, sister, and parents who take care of him. As a way of pushing through the pain, he now goes to the gym every day. He also drinks protein shakes and keeps a careful watch of his nutrition. “There are a lot of challenges,” Dr. Riely recalled, “but that’s what life is.”

It is unfortunate that any person has to endure pain or suffering when acting with courage to protect the lives of others. In moments like these, we should be reminded of why it is so great to be a part of this country. Many are willing to sacrifice their health and well-being for the benefit of others’ safety; now, that is something we should never forget

Photo Credit: The Financial Express

• A 9/11 Story: A Good Counsel Connection

Archives

A Brief Travel to the New Year’s Eve Traditions of Four Different Countries

Archives

Good Counsel’s 2018 Instrumental Christmas Concert

Archives

Things to Do Over the Christmas Break

Archives

Five Tips to Surviving Mid-Terms

Archives

The Week in Pictures – December 2-8, 2018

Archives

Music of the Month – December’s Playlist

Archives

Music of the Month: November 2018

Archives

Shoebox Project for the Homeless

Archives

The Week in Pictures – November 25-December 1, 2018

Archives

Things to Do Over Thanksgiving Break

The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School
A 9/11 Story: A Good Counsel Connection