Sensational Speakers with the Sustainability Club

Aaron Siegle ‘22

Three American Goldfinches (Spinus tristis) perch on a bird feeder, displaying how simple actions can promote wildlife.

As the world leaders gather to discuss climate change and goals for a more viable environment at the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP26), students at Good Counsel have been learning and brainstorming ways to make their community more eco-friendly. The GC Sustainability Club hosted teach-ins this fall to stimulate discussion about what individuals can do to make a difference for the climate and ecosystems in Maryland.

On November 17, local avian ecologist, Dr. Stacey Small-Lorenz, came to Good Counsel to share her knowledge and experience with club members, AP Biology, and AP Environmental Science students. She gave an interactive presentation about COP26, how climate change will impact the local environment, and practical ways students can mitigate the disastrous effects of global warming. She shared that climate change will directly impact people in Maryland, even though it is not a high-risk area. Still, the practices of creating a rain garden, composting, or using electric cars can reduce the brunt.

GC students share their ideas of how to contribute to a healthy ecosystem on a Nearpod created by Dr. Small-Lorenz. (Aaron Siegle ‘22)

New York Times Bestselling author, entomologist, ecologist, and conservationist Dr. Doug Tallamy will talk to the Sustainability Club in 2022. He is a professor in the Department of Entomology and Wildlife Ecology at the University of Delaware and has written many compelling books and scientific papers. If you are interested in learning more about his mission, check out his site Homegrown National Park to learn how you can contribute to a sustainable environment.

The best way to make an immediate, lasting impact to protect the environment is by educating individuals and contributing and putting the knowledge they gained into practice. The minor changes each member of our GC community makes to help the ecosystem will make a noticeable difference when all are put together. The Sustainability Club plans to continue to educate and implement beneficial practices for the environment at Good Counsel and remove invasive species in nearby parks. The practical advice of Dr. Stacey Small-Lorenz and Dr. Doug Tallamy will continue to stimulate discussion in the community. To learn more, join the Sustainability Club on February 9 with guest speaker Ambassador of Switzerland, Jacques Pitteloud, who advocates for environmental diplomacy.