The Talon

• February 13Boy's WCAC Metro Division Ice Hockey Championship: GC vs. St. Mary's Ryken - Friday, 2/15 - 5:30 - Laurel Gardens Ice House

• February 13GC SWIM & DIVE: Come out and support the Swim & Dive Team at the WCAC Meet - Sunday, 2/24 - 12 Noon - University of MD

What Being Pro-Life Means to Me.

An Op-Ed Commentary

Back to Article
Back to Article

What Being Pro-Life Means to Me.

Live Action

Live Action

Live Action

Alexia Ayuk, News and Special Projects Editor

With disputes in the media over conservative’s justification towards separating families, attitude towards dreamers, and migrants, the question has countlessly been posed: what does it mean to be pro-life?

I believe that there is a difference between being anti-abortion and pro-life. To be pro-life means defending the dignity of life, not just for the unborn, but refugees, LGBTQ+, victims of human trafficking, the disabled, and more. Without giving women access to the resources needed to alleviate their burdens, how can we claim that they have a choice? By providing women the resources and support they need to raise a child rather than pressuring them to believe abortion is the only way out, we are offering them a solution where they do not have to give in to societal pressures.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

— Martin Luther King

Some may argue that without allowing abortion rights, fundamental ideals of equality diminish. I would disagree. When I tell you I am pro-life, it is not only because I love babies and do not understand that others are in varying economic and social circumstances. It is because I believe every life is precious and is created by God with a purpose: “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, and before you were born, I consecrated you” (Catechism 2270). It is because abortion says violence is a better solution. It is because I believe women deserve better. I also think that the pro-life position gives them an empowering, non-violent alternative.

Martin Luther King once said, “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” The lack of enforcement of the rights of each citizen under the protection of civil legislation undermines the foundation of human rights. Consequently, an unborn child must be ensured rights from the moment of conception and although he was addressing a different issue plaguing America at the time, the message transpires to every social justice issue. The moment we allow injustice to happen, in our civil society, to those who cannot speak or advocate for themselves, we endanger everyone.

The pro-life position is not a suggestion that women should have to bear the responsibility of raising a child and suffer alone but that a woman should never have to be in a position where she finds it necessary to abort a child.

• What Being Pro-Life Means to Me.

Headlines

Romantic Movies That Make You Think

• What Being Pro-Life Means to Me.

Headlines

What to Binge Watch on Netflix During Black History Month

• What Being Pro-Life Means to Me.

Fashion & Style

The Evolution of Street Wear in High Fashion

• What Being Pro-Life Means to Me.

Week in Pictures/Videos

The Week in Pictures – January 28-February 2, 2019

• What Being Pro-Life Means to Me.

A & E

“Those Who Sing Pray Twice”

• What Being Pro-Life Means to Me.

Headlines

Music of the Month – February’s Playlist

• What Being Pro-Life Means to Me.

Headlines

THE PEOPLE of GC: Kevin Cottrell

• What Being Pro-Life Means to Me.

Headlines

xīn nián kuài lè – Happy New Year!

• What Being Pro-Life Means to Me.

Headlines

The Women’s March Controversy

• What Being Pro-Life Means to Me.

Headlines

A Winning Season

The Student News Site of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School
What Being Pro-Life Means to Me.