• May 316/5-8 – Lunch WILL NOT be served to students. Carl's will be open for business.

• May 316/1 Last dress down day of the year- for the benefit of St. Gabriel’s, our twin school in Haiti

• May 316/8 - LAST DAY OF SCHOOL - HAVE A GREAT SUMMER!

Red, White, and Gold: Women’s Hockey

Layla Abudayeh, Staff Writer

The United States had an eventful Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics, finishing with nine gold, eight silver, and six bronze medals. One of the final events that took place was the USA v. Canada Women’s Hockey Final, on February 22, 2018, in the Gangneung Hockey Centre in Gangneung, South Korea. The rivalry between the United States and Canada has been around for almost 20 years and has made ice hockey one of the most intense events in the Winter Olympics. The United States has never won a gold medal in Women’s Hockey, but we came close in Sochi 2014—before losing to Canada. In the first period, the United States led by a one-point shot made by Hilary Knight. In the second period, Canada took the lead 2-1 scoring two shots, one by Haley Irwin and the other by Marie-Philip Poulin. The third and final period came along, and the United States needed to make a comeback to reach the top of the platform. At the beginning of the period, Monique Lamoureux scored for team USA and evened the odds, 2-2. The game went into overtime, where the teams played a 20 minute period of a normal game, trying to reach four points. If this doesn’t happen, the game then ends and results in a shootout. Overtime ended with zero points being scored which led to a shootout. In a shootout, each team gets three rounds to score on 1 v. 1, and the team with the most scores wins. If there is a tie then the shootout will continue until there is an equal amount of rounds and a team has outscored the other. Whoever ends up winning the shootout gains an extra point and wins the gold medal. Round 1, Gigi Marvin scored, giving Team USA the lead. Round 2, Canada’s Meghan Agosta also scored making the shootout a tie. In round 3, nobody scored, leading to round 4 and both Canada’s Melodie Daoust and team USA’S Amanda Kessel scored. Round 5 nobody scored, leading to the 6th and final round. Jocelyne Lamoureux scored for team USA and goalie Maddie Rooney succeeded and blocked Canada’s shot, which led to the USA claiming their first victory in Women’s Ice Hockey. After a very long, intense game, team USA won gold and now reigns as world champions! Team Canada took silver and team Finland took bronze.

Photo Credit: TV Insider

• Red, White, and Gold: Women’s Hockey

Headlines

A Look Back to One of Our Girls’ Lacrosse Highlights

• Red, White, and Gold: Women’s Hockey

Headlines

He Said/She Said: Is the New Schedule Change a Good Idea?

• Red, White, and Gold: Women’s Hockey

Headlines

Study Tips for Exam Season

• Red, White, and Gold: Women’s Hockey

Headlines

Music of the Month: May 2018

• Red, White, and Gold: Women’s Hockey

Editor's Voice

Letter from the Co-Editors: On The Return of the Austringer

• Red, White, and Gold: Women’s Hockey

Headlines

GC Tennis Team victory!

• Red, White, and Gold: Women’s Hockey

Headlines

Good Counsel’s Falcons of Fishing Tournament!

• Red, White, and Gold: Women’s Hockey

Headlines

A New Generation Visits on Bring Your Child to Work Day

• Red, White, and Gold: Women’s Hockey

Headlines

Boys Lacrosse Check into the Quarterfinals

• Red, White, and Gold: Women’s Hockey

Headlines

Humboldt Broncos Hockey Team in Crash Making a Difference

Red, White, and Gold: Women’s Hockey