• May 316/5-8 – Lunch WILL NOT be served to students. Carl's will be open for business.

• May 316/1 Last dress down day of the year- for the benefit of St. Gabriel’s, our twin school in Haiti

• May 316/8 - LAST DAY OF SCHOOL - HAVE A GREAT SUMMER!

The Necessity of Black History Month

Raquel Thomas, Staff Writer

Black History Month tells the tales of Black America, the roles of its people and their successes. Black History Month is defined by history.com as “an annual celebration of achievements by African Americans and a time for recognizing the central role of blacks” in the United States. Black History Month stemmed from “Negro History Week” which was previously the second week in February, established by an African-American historian named Dr. Carter G. Woodson in 1926. The idea of recognition and remembrance of blacks in history eventually led to the one week celebration engulfing the entire month of February.

Black history Month is important because it allows today’s young people to understand how far Black America has come. It recognizes not only the most known achievers like MLK but those who made a significant impact that are not as well known.

During times of racial tensions, many blacks were still able to succeed and did not allow the racism of America to set them back. For example, during the late 1800s to early 1900s, Madam C.J. Walker was not only the FIRST black female, but also the FIRST female “self-made” millionaire (Tisby). She created a hair product line for blacks and donated much of her money to groups such as the NAACP. Her success and donations inspired other African Americans and allowed them to explore their endless possibilities and capabilities.

In conclusion, Black History Month is necessary because it highlights black achievements in art, STEM, law, business, social justice, sports, and more. Black History Month is needed because in school, students are primarily taught about Martin Luther King, Harriet Tubman, Booker T. Washington, Malcom X, and Louis Armstrong. What about the others? Those names are only several important blacks out of the thousands that lived and help make an impact on the world. Black History Month inspires and illustrates the many marvels that were accomplished during times of oppression and freedom which one may not frequently hear the narrative of in a classroom.

Sources

“Black History Month.” History.com, A&E Television Networks, 2010, www.history.com/topics/black-history/black-history-month.

“NAACP History: Carter G. Woodson.” NAACP, www.naacp.org/oldest-and-boldest/naacp-history-carter-g-woodson/.

“Madam C.J. Walker.” Biography.com, A&E Networks Television, 26 Jan. 2018, www.biography.com/people/madam-cj-walker-9522174.

Tisby, Jemar. “5 Reasons You Should Celebrate Black History Month.” The Witness, 31 Jan. 2018, thewitnessbcc.com/5-reasons-you-should-celebrate-black-history-month/.

“Black History Facts.” History.com, A&E Television Networks, 2009, www.history.com/topics/black-history/black-history-facts.

• The Necessity of Black History Month

Headlines

A Look Back to One of Our Girls’ Lacrosse Highlights

• The Necessity of Black History Month

Headlines

He Said/She Said: Is the New Schedule Change a Good Idea?

• The Necessity of Black History Month

Headlines

Study Tips for Exam Season

• The Necessity of Black History Month

Headlines

Music of the Month: May 2018

• The Necessity of Black History Month

Editor's Voice

Letter from the Co-Editors: On The Return of the Austringer

• The Necessity of Black History Month

Headlines

GC Tennis Team victory!

• The Necessity of Black History Month

Headlines

Good Counsel’s Falcons of Fishing Tournament!

• The Necessity of Black History Month

Headlines

A New Generation Visits on Bring Your Child to Work Day

• The Necessity of Black History Month

Headlines

Boys Lacrosse Check into the Quarterfinals

• The Necessity of Black History Month

Headlines

Humboldt Broncos Hockey Team in Crash Making a Difference

The Necessity of Black History Month