Falcons Flying on the Ice

Falcon hockey player flying on the ice to receive a pass from his fellow Falcon.

GC Hockey Team

Despite the chill of the ice rink, the atmosphere at the recent Good Counsel Hockey game blazed with energy. The Falcons played Landon, a hockey powerhouse, in an insane three-period game. Sophomore Kevin Cottrell was on fire and lit up the rink with his quick decision-making. Another sophomore, Payton O’Keefe, made combination plays with Cottrell. Between the two boys – O’Keefe scoring one and Cottrell putting two in the back of the net – the Falcons managed to put three on the board against Landon’s one.
But an offense is nothing without the support from their defense; Drew Ardizzone and Mike Kershek, seniors, slammed players into the wall and denied goal scoring opportunities to hold the lead. Senior goalkeeper for the falcons, Cruz Hanson made outstanding saves and went on to say after the game, “The win was absolutely incredible, and I am truly proud of the effort the boys put in practice last week because it paid off when the game arrived.”
Off of the ice, the students who came to support our falcons were ruthless. Hanson went on to say, “The fans were amazing. They were loud and I loved the atmosphere. By far the most fans we have had through my four years at GC and it’s great to see people with smiles on their faces when their team wins.” The student section was absolutely wild. Taunting the other players, banging on the glass, moving across the stands when the teams switched sides to heckle the Landon goalkeeper and make him nervous – it was all a part of the fun.
Good Counsel’s community is definitely one of the most close-knit in the WCAC, and that shows at sporting events with our love and passion for Falcon athletes. I strongly encourage everyone to attend the hockey games to make the student section larger. It even rivals the fun had at our football games. You’re guaranteed a good time. Check out Good Counsel’s athletics page under Hockey in winter sports for times, dates, and locations of the upcoming games to watch our team lead us to another victory.