Speech and Debate Win Big at WACFL Metrofinals

On Saturday, February 24th, Good Counsel’s Speech team showed their dominance in the art of public speaking by winning their 11th consecutive league championship at WACFL Metrofinals. Additionally, GC’s Speech team was able to qualify a number of competitors to compete at Nationals in May, hosted in Washington DC.

For Declamation, Sophomore Alex Goutier won the event where speakers in 9th or 10th grade memorize and perform a non-original speech, with a fourth-place finish by Sophomore Miracle Adedeji. Sophomore Uzoma Elekwachi was able to qualify as an additional qualifier.

In Dramatic Performance, where the speakers memorize and perform a scene from a play or piece of prose, Senior and Captain Luke Amato finished as the league’s champion in this event, with his fourth year in speech and first year in dramatic performance. Senior Kennedy Buck was able to clinch second place, and Sophomore Isaiah Bowes had a strong showing in his first year of speech with a sixth-place finish. Junior Declan Slattery, Sophomore Cara Texeira, and Senior Mary Kilgallon were able to snatch spots as additional qualifiers for Nationals.

In Duo Performance, where two students perform a selection from a play or piece of prose/poetry (with the added challenge of not being able to make eye contact or touch), the team of Seniors Sky Johns and Kennedy Davidson proved victorious as the league’s champions. Juniors Grace Schuler and Taylor Thomas were able to place in a comfortable second place, with Sophomore Rachel Kilgallon and Senior Josh Stripling winning fourth. Additionally, the team of Senior Luke Amato and Junior Declan Slattery and the team of Sophomores Cara Teixara and Emma Tarquinio were able to qualify for nationals.

Seniors Sky Johns, Kennedy Davidson, and Luke Amato showcase their achievements.

In Extemporaneous speaking, a high-pressure event where competitors must write a speech on a current political issue in 30 minutes and perform it as a 7-minute speech, there were no medalists. Despite this, Senior Grant Clark was able to earn a spot as an additional qualifier for nationals.

In Original Oratory, where speakers write and perform their own speech, Senior Christina Luke was able to secure sixth place. Junior Haley Hopkins and Senior Sarah Kelchner qualified as additional qualifiers for Nationals in this event.

In Oral Interpretation, competitors perform dramatic readings of prose and poetry that are not memorized. In this event, Senior Grace Ann Taylor was able to win first place. Senior Kennedy Buck demonstrated another strong showing in this event, finishing in fourth place. Sophomore Isaiah Bowes and Senior Mary Kilgallon qualified for Nationals.

On March 9th and 10th, the Good Counsel Debate Team competed at Metrofinals. This was the first Metrofinals for freshman Eden Teshome and sophomore Shujie “Naral” Zhang who competed in the Junior Varsity division of Public Forum Debate. The team of juniors Raquel Thomas and Jacob Taylor in the Varsity division displayed an amazing effort with an impressive 7-5 win-loss record. Juniors Alexia Ayuk and Brent Smith blew the competition away as the league’s overall champions and won WACFL Metropolitan Varsity First.

Stay tuned to see how your Good Counsel Speech and Debate Team does at Nationals in D.C. this May!

Pictures courtesy of GC and Craig Cummins, Debate coach.